Rockville Prenuptial Attorneys Empower Couples to Safeguard Their Financial Future
Serving individuals in Rockville, Bethesda, Potomac, Damascus, and College Park with more than three decades of prenuptial experience
Unfortunately, divorce is commonplace. When divorce events occur, many couples are left grappling with complex issues surrounding the division of property and assets, spousal support, and related matters. Many of the disputes that couples encounter in the divorce process can be prevented through prenuptial agreements. The Rockville family law attorneys at Jo Benson Fogel, P.A. enable couples to formalize wishes and intentions regarding finances at the outset of marriage, thereby avoiding acrimonious and expensive disputes in the event of divorce.
Tailoring prenuptial agreements to our clients’ specific needs and wishes
There is a common misperception that prenuptial agreements are only appropriate for individuals with significant assets coming into the marriage. In fact, there are practical reasons that support the concept that having a prenuptial is prudent for many couples:
- Protect a future interest in a family business
- Safeguard art, jewelry, and other valuable or sentimental personal items received as gifts or family heirlooms
- Keep family heirlooms in the family
- Protect assets gained through inheritance
- Reduce the acrimony, fighting, and costs in the event of a divorce
- Establish expectations with respect to spousal support
Our family law and prenuptial agreement attorneys have helped countless couples throughout Maryland and Washington, D.C. suburbs dictate the terms of their financial relationship prior to marriage. There are effective ways to navigate this sensitive subject.
Comprehensive consideration of a prenuptial agreement’s impact on your future well-being
Whether you need a prenuptial drafted or you have been presented with an agreement to consider, it is important to have an attorney who is familiar with Maryland contract and divorce law carefully review the agreement. Our Rockville prenuptial agreement attorneys help you anticipate circumstances that may affect the suitability of the agreement in the future:
- Compromises made to your career for the benefit of your spouse’s career
- Decisions to temporarily or permanently stay home to care for your children and other family members
- Potential for substantial future income or earnings
- Disproportionate marital debt accrued by one spouse
- Need to care for children from a prior relationship
There are many factors that determine whether a prenuptial agreement makes sense for you and your future spouse. Because these agreements dictate what may happen decades down the road, it is important to be as thorough as possible before signing by thinking through and evaluating the benefits, risks, and proper scope of a prenuptial.
Helping clients in Damascus, College Park, Clarksburg, and surrounding areas overcome unfair prenuptial agreements
In general, the terms of a prenuptial agreement are difficult to challenge in divorce. Under very limited circumstances, however, it may be possible to dispute an agreement:
- Improperly executed
- Not memorialized in writing
- Attempts to modify legal rights that cannot be altered
- Entered into under duress or coercion
- Based on fraudulent information, including undisclosed assets
Depending on the facts of your situation, it may be possible to invalidate specific terms of your prenuptial or void the entire agreement. Our divorce and prenuptial attorneys work closely with you to understand the circumstances under which your agreement was originally signed in order, to best deliver a favorable outcome in your case.
Rely on our Rockville prenuptial agreement attorneys to get your marriage started on the right foot
It is wise to have an attorney closely involved with the drafting and review of your prenuptial agreement. Without this expertise, you risk jeopardizing important legal rights. The Rockville family law and prenuptial agreement attorneys at Jo Benson Fogel, P.A. frequently counsel clients in Rockville and Greater Maryland. Call (301) 468-2288 or contact us online today to learn how we can help you.