Accomplished Rockville Spousal Support Attorneys a Trusted Source for Advice and Representation in Support Proceedings
Expertly navigating a complicated subject to get you back on your feet after divorce
Spousal support can be a sensitive, complicated issue. But, for many Maryland men and women, it is an essential component of a divorce settlement and the primary means through which a spouse can successfully move forward following divorce. The spousal support attorneys at Jo Benson Fogel, P.A. have more than 30 years of combined experience advocating for individuals entitled to spousal support in Rockville and surrounding areas.
Trust us to fully explain your rights and responsibilities under Maryland’s spousal support laws
Every relationship is different. In some situations, both spouses are on equal financial footing when exiting the relationship. In others, one spouse is better off financially. In these latter instances, it is often the case that one spouse has given considerable effort and time into the marriage to the detriment of his or her career. Individuals in this position often find themselves disadvantaged from an earnings standpoint after divorce. Spousal support, commonly referred to as alimony, is intended to address this disparity between spouses.
Leveraging the facts in your case to obtain the spousal support award to which you are entitled
There is no set formula for establishing spousal support. Maryland courts have discretion to consider a number of factors in granting an award of spousal support, including:
- Capacity of each spouse to be self-supporting
- Duration of the marriage
- Respective age of each spouse
- Financial needs of each spouse
- Standard of living established and maintained during the marriage
- Monetary and nonmonetary contributions that each spouse made during the marriage
The facts of your situation determine whether you are eligible to receive spousal support, and, if so, the amount and duration of the support award. Lean on our reputable Rockville spousal support attorneys to assess your eligibility and advocate for the support that you need.
Securing time-limited and indefinite spousal support for men and women throughout Maryland and District of Columbia suburbs
In order to better meet the needs of economically disadvantaged spouses, Maryland courts have established two tiers of spousal support:
- Time-Limited Alimony: Awards for limited alimony, also referred to as rehabilitative alimony, are intended to support an individual during the transition into a new job or field of employment. With limited alimony awards, there is an expectation that a spouse will become self-supporting after a certain period of time.
- Indefinite Alimony: In some circumstances, Maryland courts will award spousal support for the duration of an individual’s life or until he or she remarries. Known as indefinite alimony, this level of spousal support is generally reserved for situations in which a spouse cannot reasonably be expected to make substantial progress toward becoming self-supporting.
Spousal support can make all the difference in helping you sustain yourself financially after a divorce. Our knowledgeable Rockville spousal support attorneys develop the evidence and legal arguments needed to get you the full support settlement to which you are rightfully entitled.
Call Jo Benson Fogel, P.A. for first-rate representation in divorce and spousal support matters
Before agreeing to waive rights to spousal support in a divorce agreement, contact an experienced Rockville divorce attorney who can help you fully appreciate your rights under Maryland’s alimony laws. Call (301) 468-2288 or contact us online today to schedule an appointment. We help rebuild your life after divorce.